New York is home to almost 100+ museums among which 32 are based in Manhattan. These museums give a sneak peak to the artistic and cultural side of New York. It is not possible for any tourist to cover so many museums, hence it is really important to know which are the most famous and must visit Museums in New York – what are they about and which ones will interest you more as a person. In this way one can decide which ones should they visit. Entry price for these museums are rationally priced, around 20-25 USD/Person only. Moreover, there are some museums which have free entry, some have free entry but accept donations and some always have entry charges but are free on special days. Following are 10 must visit Museums in Manhattan, New York – definitely worth considering.
1. AMERICAN MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
This is one of the biggest museums of New York. It displays huge collection of specimens of plants, animals, human remains, rocks, fossils etc. The museum also conducts various Exhibitions as well, which are really interesting, specially the one about dinosaurs. The museum is full of knowledge and amazing trained staff to guide you.
- Location: 200 Central Park West, New York, NY 10024, United States.
- Timings: 10:00 AM to 5:45 PM.
- Entry: Only donations i.e. pay what you wish, but, it is better to pay the suggested adult entry fee of 20-25 USD if you are capable of paying.
2. THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART (MET)
Yes! It is the same one where MET GALA event takes place, every year attended by all the famous celebrities. It is the largest museum of United States and the most visited museum of New York. The staircase of the MET is shown very often in the television series – Gossip Girl. This Museum has an outstanding collection of art and artefacts from around the world starting from the classic ancient historic times up to today’s modern days. This museum also conducts various exhibitions, which are worth watching.
- Location: 1000 5thAve, New York, NY 10028, United States.
- Timings: Friday to Saturday: 10:00 AM to 09:00 PM; Sunday to Thursday: 10:00 AM to 05:30 PM.
- Entry: $25 for Adults.
3. SOLOMON R.GUGGENHEIM MUSEUM
The most interesting thing about this museum is its unique circular structure, which was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. Guggenheim Museum is listed under UNESCO as a World Heritage site. The museum majorly displays the work of Guggenheim and a few other artists of recent times.
- Location: 1071 5thAve, New York, NY 10128, United States.
- Timings: Sunday to Friday: 10:00 AM to 5:30 PM; Saturday: 10:00 AM to 08:00 PM.
- Entry: 25$ for adult; Every Saturday 05:00 PM- 08:00 PM, pay what you wish ($10 is suggested).
4. MUSEUM OF MODERN ART (MoMA)
This museum is for those who are interested in Modern Arts. If not interested in modern arts, then one can go to MET, where arts from all the eras are displayed. This place has a huge collection of work of many famous artists like Van Gogh’s – The Starry Night, Claude Monet’s – Water Lilies, The Dali and The Rousseau etc.
- Location: 11 W 53rdSt, New York, NY 10019, United States.
- Timings: Sunday to Thursday and Saturday: 10:30 AM to 05:30 PM; Friday: 10:30 AM to 09:00 PM.
- Entry: $25 for Adult; Free Entry every Friday from 05:30 PM to 09:00 PM.
5. 9/11 MEMORIAL MUSEUM
This museum gives us a real insight of the tragical events that happened on 11thSep’2001 and 1993 WTC Bombing that took the lives of 2983 people. This museum is very well designed and displays the track of events of those horrific days, with the help of video interviews and photographs. This memorial will surely take you back to that day, so it is beautiful and painful at the same time.
- Location: Greenwich Street 180, New York , NY 10007, United States.
- Timings: Daily: 09:00 AM – 08:00 PM.
- Entry: $24 for Adult; Free Entry every Tuesday from 05:00 PM to 8:00 PM.
6. MUSEUM OF ICE CREAM
Yes! There can be a museum of Ice-creams and New York has it. This is an absolute fun place to visit. It has pink interiors with cute displays including a pool full of sprinkles. Bonus! You get to taste a lot of ice-creams as a part of the tour.
- Location: 558 Broadway, New York, NY 10012, United States.
- Timings: Daily: 09:30 AM to 09:30 PM; Closed on all Tuesdays.
- Entry: $39 for Adult.
7. NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY
It will be a blunder not visiting this place. This place holds great architectural and historical value. You will relate to this place as soon as you enter, as it has featured in many Hollywood movies. This is a free attraction. You can go to the information desk and ask for Building Tour, which is also free of cost.
- Location: 5thAve New York 476, NY 10018, New York, United States.
- Timings: 10:00 AM to 05:00 PM.
- Entry: Free.
8. MUSEUM OF CITY OF NEW YORK
This museum takes you back to the history of New York, shedding light on some interesting facts and information about the city. This place is really informative if you want to know more about New York. They also show a 30 mins introductory movie about the history of New York and the growth of the boroughs. The movie is really interesting.
- Location: 1220 5thAve, New York, NY 10029, United States.
- Timings: 10:00 AM to 6 PM.
- Entry: $20 for Adults.
9. THE FRICK COLLECTION
This is industrialist Henry Clay Frick’s French Style mansion, now converted in to a museum. The grandeur, the architecture and the décor of this mansion is worth admiring and it is an artistic masterpiece.
- Location:1E 70thStreet, New York, NY 10021, United States.
- Timings: Tuesday and Saturday: 10:00 AM to 6:00 PM; Sunday: 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM; Closed on all Mondays.
- Entry: $22 for Adults, Pay what you wish on every Sunday 11:00 AM to 01:00 PM.
10. MUSEUM OF SEX
Yes, and it is possible in NYC. This is a very interesting and differently themed museum and definitely worth a visit. It explains the history and evolution of human sexuality. It also explains about the abortion law and how sex was a taboo in earlier days. This museum also has some fun games to play inside.
- Location: 233 5thAve, New York, NY 10016, United States.
- Timings: 11:00 AM to 11:00 PM.
- Entry: $20 for Adults, Entry allowed to 18 yrs old and above.
- BEST NYC ITINERARY FOR FIRST TIME VISITOR – Exploring New York in 2 Days
- A GUIDE TO CHOOSE BEST TOURIST PASS FOR NEW YORK CITY